Ways to Move More: Changing Your Lifestyle
Our Move More Manifesto is all about getting more active. It’s important; over the years, scientists have established that leading an active lifestyle will help you:
- Improve psychological well-being
- Reduce the risk of developing and/or dying from heart disease
- Reduce high blood pressure or the risk of developing high blood pressure
- Reduce high cholesterol or the risk of developing high cholesterol
- Reduce the risk of developing colon cancer and breast cancer
- Reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes
- Reduce or maintain body weight or body fat
- Build and maintain healthy muscles, bones and joints
- Reduce depression and anxiety
So exercise is important, but you don’t have to turn your life upside down or invest in memberships or equipment to become more active.
Simple lifestyle changes can be the most effective way to start moving more. There are often many easy ways to change your daily routine to help you become more active.
- Avoid lifts, take the stairs.
- Don’t drive to the corner shop, take a walk.
- Fire up the Wii Fit.
- Explore the countryside by foot this weekend.
- Play with the kids in the garden
- Volunteer for something to get you out of the house and on your feet.
- Walk the dog, or volunteer to walk your friend or neighbours!
- Do some home improvement, gardening, DYI, or clear out the spare room
Whatever if it is, make the conscious choice to move more, whenever you can!
For more ideas on how to do make your lifestyle more active, see this Top 25 list.